ipsos mori survey 2005:-
- 40% of articles focus on violence, crime and anti social behaviour, 71% are negative
brunel university 2007:-
- TV news- violent crimes or celebrities, Young people are only 1% of sources
women in journalism 2008:-
- 72% of articles were negative 3.4% positive
- 75% about crime, drugs, police
- boys;- yobs, sick feral, hoodies, louts, scum.
- only positive stories are about boys who die young
David Starkey- news night the whites have become black- BBC hd ( will be good to use in the exam)
turning off the Internet
what role did new media technologies, particularly social networking sites play in the London riots?
do media cause riots or revolutions?
technologies and surveillance: mobile phones, CCTV, 24 hour news
Questions to answer from article: How can you link cultural hegemony to this article?
How does the article suggest moral panic is being caused?
Can you link in McRobbies Symbolic violence theory? How?
How far do you agree with this article that governments decisions and policies are continuing to create a divide between the middle and working class? DiscussBetween 6 and 10 August 2011, several London boroughs and districts of cities and towns across England suffered widespread rioting, looting and arson.