- Plato 4th century!
- they orginante in and reflect the power relations in society because they are part of cultures ideology
- they foster values that reinforce group and individual subordination
- they marginalise people treating them as the other
- they categorise people into groups whose member supposedly share invetable charcteritics most typically negative ones
characteristicrts of stereo types
- stereotypes are categorical and genral sugesting the trasits applyu to all group members
- they are simplistic
- they are prejudgements not based on experiance
- can be conscious or unconscious
- they are inflexible or rigid , thus not easily corrected
hegemony in news representations of youth
- media industeries operate within a structure that produces and reinforces the dominant ideology via a consensual world view
- this world view is produced predominantly by white middle class, middle aged hetrosexual men
- it is thier ideas and values that infiltrate media texts and ensure that other voices do not get heard.